Woven copper lightning conductor. Made by James Spratt in London around 1860.
Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod in 1749. In 1860, electrician James Spratt patented his innovative woven copper lightning conductor which represented an advance in safety.
Spratt is perhaps better known as the first manufacturer of dog biscuits. He employed Charles Cruft, who went on to establish Crufts, the world-famous show for dog breeders.
- Object Number:
- 1893-131 Pt1
- lightning rods
- architectural elements
- Symons, G.J.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.