Section of cellular base of main span north tube from Robert Stephenson's (1803-1859) Britannia Bridge, Menai Straits. Completed in 1850, the two rectangular wrought iron tubes carried the Chester & Holyhead Railway over spans of 230 feet (70.1 metres) and 460 feet (140.2 metres). The bridge was destroyed by fire in 1970, but the piers re-used for a replacement railway bridge in 1972. A roadway was added above in 1980. See also 1929-614.
- Civil Engineering
- Object Number:
- Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.