British Thornton Limited
The company was formed in 1878 as a manufacturer and supplier of high quality drawing and surveying instruments. In 1967 the company changed its name to British Thornton before acquiring two other companies in 1992, Educational and Scientific Furniture Ltd and Armstrongs (Hull) Ltd. The company became known as British Thornton Holdings Plc and became a leading supplier of educational and scientific furniture market.
After the appointment of a new Chief Executive in 1996 the company was acquired by a management buyout. British Thornton Direct Ltd became the parent company and British Thornton ESF Ltd the trading company. In 2015 the company merged with Claughtons, a Yorkshire company, to become the largest manufacturer of educational furniture in the country.