Pooleys were a firm of mechanical engineers, founded in Liverpool in the 18th century. They started to make platform scales c1835. Their main office was at the Albion Foundry, Liverpool until c1890 (before 1907), when it moved to John Bright Street, Birmingham. In 1913 the firm became part of the Avery organisation, but continued as a separate firm. The firm was responsible for supplying and maintaining the weights and scales of many railway companies.