Andrew Handyside & Co. 1848 - 1910
- Derby, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
Around 1848, after returning from Russia, the Glaswegian Andrew Handyside took over the Britannia Iron Works and changed its name to Andrew Handside & Co. Under his guidance the company increased its range of products and began to supply the rapidly exanding railway networks with bridges, equipment and ironwork for station buildings. Although Handyside died in 1887 the company's success continued under the management of Col Alexander Buchan. However, the 20th century saw a downturn in the company's fortunes, and in 1911 Andrew Handyside & Co. ceased trading.