Radcliffe Infirmary 1770 - 2007
- English; British
- Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, United Kingdom
1758 - first proposals to build a hospital for Oxford were made at a meeting of the Radcliffe Trustees.
1770 - the Bishop of Oxford consecrated the Radcliffe Infirmary's burial ground (long since buried itself), and the congregation prayed that it might be the 'only useless part of the Establishment'.
1824 - infectious diseases were accommodated.
1877 - a designated children's ward was opened.
1918 - maternity care first provided.
1919 - the Infirmary purchased the Manor House estate, on which the John Radcliffe Hospital was eventually to be built, Woodstock Road, Oxford
1941 - the first dose of penicillin was given intravenously to man.
1989 - was one of three hospitals in the country used for the Electronic Data Exchange pilot scheme.
1993 - became an independent NHS Trust.
1999 - became part of the Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust.
2007 - hospital closed, with services moving in the main to the John Radcliffe Hospital West Wing and the buildings taken over by the University of Oxford.